Bio-Identical hormones function in the body like the hormones our own body’s produce. They are made in a lab from soy or wild yam to be “bio-identical” to human hormones.
Bio-Identical hormones are used:
- To replace hormones when deficiencies occur
- To improve balance of hormones when there is an imbalance
Bio-Identical hormones used in Women’s Health can include:
- Estrogens (Estrone, Estradiol, Estriol)
Bio-Identical hormones most often used to treat men are:
Bio-Identical hormone therapy is specifically tailored to the individual’s needs based on saliva testing of one’s own free (vs protein bound) levels of these hormones.
Bio-Identical hormones are available as skin creams or gels, sublingual drops, lozenges, capsules, or vaginal creams or gels.
Bio-Identical hormones are available:
- Compounded to your specific needs by prescription which can be filled at compounding pharmacies
- As specialty products at predetermined doses through health care professionals which are generally of higher quality and specificity than most over the counter products
- Over the counter products which may not have dosage information available
Bio-Identical hormone therapy should always be monitored with saliva hormone levels to ensure that levels are balanced and are within safe and effective ranges.
Other Bio-Identical hormones available through compounding pharmacies include:
- Thyroid (T3 and T4)